Friday 20 July 2007

That's my boy!

After a mixed time at our local hospital on Monday, a trip to Addenbrookes was organised for yesterday. I had a meeting at work which I was reluctant to miss and, after much consideration, Clare and I decided that Clare's parents would take her to the appointment. Monday’s visit had left us a bit confused and trips to Addenbrookes have not always yielded good news in the past so we were looking forward to it with trepid expectation.

Well… I think the results speak for themselves!




Clare had a different (but equally helpful) consultant who suddenly flicked the picture over to a 4D image and there was this little face peering back at Clare. We were very, very happy to see our little lad’s face for the first time. Apparently, he looks like me… I don’t know who that’s more insulting to!

The latest is: His head is still a normal size and not showing any of the expected characteristics, such as frontal bossing, cleft palette, etc. His chest:abdomen ratio has decreased slightly but nothing to cause much concern. His legs are still very short, the femur being just 30mm at 28 weeks! But the limbs are still growing though so that’s good.

The 20 week scan showed signs of a cyst on his lung (called a CCAM). This didn’t seem to be present at the last Addenbrookes scan but was back for this one. The good news is it is getting proportionally smaller as his lungs increase in size. There will be no need for ante-natal care but it will need to be monitored after he is born, just in case.

As far as Clare is concerned, she has a lot of amniotic fluid. This will most likely mean that baby arrives early, though it’s impossible to know quite when. This is a concern because we don’t want him just yet! We’re just trusting in God that His timing will be right.

The increased fluid has left her feeling uncomfortable and she is also experiencing pain in her ribs and back. She still remains positive but some days are easier than others. Today was her last day as a teacher, so I think the well-earned rest will do her a great deal of good.

So all told, we have a lot to praise God for! In the midst of difficult times, He continues to bless us more than we could possibly ask. I’ll finish with His word to us… very apt I think!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139 v 13-16

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd check in and say this blog is a top idea. I've passed on the address to Patrick C so he can keep tabs on you!

Unknown said...

wow.. looks like a novel in the making. he does look a bit like you.. after a pork pie or two ;-)

best of luck, it looks great to see.