Wednesday 17 October 2007

People's amazing thoughtfulness

As I start to write this, I'm thinking to myself that I have to be very careful how I phrase what I want to say. The last thing I want is for people to think that I'm fishing for sympathy or attention. The purpose of this post is to thank people and not to hint for more from people who have already given so much.

With that caveat, I have to say that Clare and I are truly amazed at how thoughtful people are. I have to confess that I'm pretty bad when it comes to helping people who are going through a hard time. I might think about them occasionally and pray for them in church. Clare is much more thoughtful and very good at writing cards but such things never really enter my head.

But the amount of love and support we have received is beyond belief! There are people who text us regularly, never expecting a reply, just to let us know they are thinking of us. There are people who aren't content to send one email of condolences and then be done, but to write frequently just to to say they are praying for us. A school friend of mine wrote to me yesterday to say that when he runs the Bath half-marathon next year, he's going to raise money for the Restricted Growth Association in memory of Theo.

(Just to re-iterate... don't feel bad if you feel you don't fall into any of the above categories. Just by reading this blog and involving yourself in our lives is a tremendous support!)

So, thank you to everyone who has made this last week that little bit easier. A number of people have commented on how strong and positive we are being. Just to clear that up, for the record; If we seem strong, it does not come from ourselves but from God who gives us strength. If we seem positive, it is because we are surrounded by caring people who uphold us in thought, prayer and action.

So thanks again. We would be in a worse state without you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy and Clare,
I believe we surround ourselves by people who are like us. Meaning, if you are kind, caring, concerned and a good person, you will find those same people in your life. Your friends are a testiment to who YOU are. :)

Prays and blessings as you enter each day!

Anonymous said...

I think that your openness and honesty and your willingness to share your joys and sorrows has made us all feel as if we really know you and have been a part of this experience. It's been such a blessing to get to know you. I'm still so very sad that I won't meet Theo for awhile. My prayers are with you everyday.

Jennifer USA

Anonymous said...

I will probably never have the priviledge of meeting you this side of heaven, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. So glad you had a little bit of time with sweet Theo.
Amanda in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Andy and clare
I was deeply saddened to read about your loss. I can not begin to imagine how you must be feeling.
you are in my thoughts and prayers.
jenny