Friday 10 October 2008

One year on...remembering Theo



It seems like a cliche, but it really doesn't feel like a whole year has passed! On this day last year, we welcomed and said goodbye to our son Theodore. Over the last year, we've been through times of happiness and times of great sorrow.

Theo was only with us for a short while. Some people spend their whole life looking for their purpose in life...searching for the one thing that will make an impact and cause their name to be remembered always. Theo managed to achieve this in just 4 and a half hours. That was all the time God required of him here before his work was done. Although Clare and I don't fully understand why his time was so short, we know God's will was done because we see it in the effect Theo's life has had on other people as well as ourselves.



We are certainly changed by all this. In some ways we are older, wearier and more battle-worn. But in others we are stronger, firmer in our faith and more trusting in God. The good surely out-weighs the bad.

As Clare and I look back over the past, we also look to the future. We don't know what's around the next corner for us but we know that we will make it through because we trust in a God who promises to be with us always. He hasn't always made it easy for us over the last year but he has always been there for us. We know we can rely on God because he has a track-record of not letting us down.

Finally, a very big and heart-felt thank you to everyone who has supported us over the last year. In many ways, big and small, you have made our journey easier and for that we are extremely grateful.

To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

Jude 1:24-25

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrew and Clare
Our love is with you today and everyday
NO LIGHT THAT WAS BORN IN LOVE CAN EVER BE EXTINGUISHED

Oh Theo
How very softly
you tiptoed into my world.
Almost silently, only a moment you stayed
But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon my heart.


I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out – plans to give you the future you long for.
Jeremiah 29 v 11

Cheryl and Hugh, Theo's grandparents

Anonymous said...

As I grow older I look back on my life
wondering what I will have achieved
during what I hope will be a bit more
than three score years & ten,
wondering whether I shall be remembered
and if so what for?

Perhaps I will linger in a dim corner of some memories
but eventually I shall be forgotten.
It comes to most of us.

You however were here for just five & a half hours
and yet you are known around the world,
your name is indelibly inscribed on so many hearts
that there will always be candles lit for you
and you will shine like a beacon
for all who seek to overcome pain with love.

Jesus told us that the weak will become the strong
and you who were weak and small
are now among the strongest and tallest in the glory of heaven.


God bless you, and God bless us, every one.

From your Grandpa Dungey

Tonya said...

My heart still aches for Theo.

I remember getting that email from Mandy and I remember the world crushing under the weight of my tears.

I still don't understand why, I still feel it is unfair.

By getting to know you and your family over the last year and a half, I am comforted in the fact that Theo accomplished great things in his short time here, many more things that most people only hope to achieve.

Theo is forever loved!

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your family!

When I finally get the chance to meet Theo, I will hold him and kiss his chubby cheeks like I have dreamed of doing!

Unknown said...

Thinking of both of you today. Theo was truly loved while here on earth for such a short time and that love continues to grow each day without him. You are blessed to have had such a special little boy. Continued prayers for your healing.

Candi and Skeet said...

Thinking of you today and wishing that things could have been different. I pray that you will feel the comfort of the Lord as you remember your beautiful little boy today.

Love you!
Candi & Skeet

Catherine Merciez Wright said...

I can't say this enough. How you have remembered and cherished your son in his death is a tribute to your abilities as parents. I feel such sadness that we will not have a little buddy in England but am so grateful that you have shared your lives with us.
You are both such tremendous people with an amazing family. I am thinking about you today!
Cat

Jennifer said...

I'm thinking of you today! Much love.

BRYAN'S YAYA said...

Thinking of you in Texas, and sending loving thoughts. May God bless you today and always.

Candi
YaYa to Bryan

Val46 said...

Its said that something good always comes out of something bad. I am sure you have wondered at times how that must be. But I know for sure I am so pleased that Geoff and I got to know you. Something that was unlikely to happen, if it had not been for Theo. I am sure like everyone else who has got to know you in this way we hope that whatever the future holds for you both, we can remain in touch with you and Clare's mum and dad, who we have enjoyed meeting, and especially enjoying creamand jam scones at mums caravan!
Love
Val & Geoffxxx

Val46 said...

It is said that out of something sad, "something good must come of it!" Hard thing to come to terms with especially for you both. But personally, for us, we know that we are so pleased that we were given the opportunity to get in touch and meet you. If it had not been for Theo, this I am sure would not have happened. Whatever the future holds for you both, and unfortunately, that is only in one persons hands, we hope that we can remain in touch, if only now and again, as we know you are both busy people. God Bless all of you and both sets of your parents.
Love
Val & Geoffxxxx

Candi and Skeet said...

Hi Miss Clare! I hope you don't mind that I tagged you. See my blog.

I hope you are doing okay. I miss you!

Love ya!
Candi

amy f. said...

This was a beautiful post. I feel the same way in my journey with my daughter who is in Heaven with precious Theo. I know a handful of little ones who are all around the same age, all together just as peaceful as can be up there. Theo, Lydia, Leah, Avery, James and Jake...I remember you all tonight!

God Bless your family and thank you for sharing Theo with us.