Friday 24 October 2008

Theo's Birthday

Clare and I are both at home today with a cold but at least it gives me a chance to catch up on blog-world and post about Theo's birthday.

We both took the day off and we went to stay in Oulton Broad about 50 minutes away from Ipswich. We started the day at Thrigby Hall which is a small wildlife park. It's more open than a normal zoo and lots of the animals are not in cages as such. For example, you are only separated from the tigers by a double layer of wire mesh. It's big enough to stick you fingers through but luckily the gap between the two layers is large enough so that you can't actually poke the tiger! It still lets you get pretty close though!


We also saw Red Pandas (my favourite!) and dropped leaves on a crocodile's head to see if it was still alive. I wanted to drop my bottle of water on its head but Clare said no!

In the evening, we went to Southwold Pier (where we scattered Theo's ashes last year). It was a beautifully clear, moon-lit night. We let some balloons go from the end of the pier and said some prayers.


The next day, we got both families together and went out for a Chinese meal to celebrate Theo's birthday. It was a really great day and it was nice to have both families there. Typically, I forgot the camera so no pics of that I'm afraid!

Overall, it was a lovely weekend! Although there had been some sadness in the run up to Theo's birthday, the actuall day was very happy and it was good for Clare and I to get some time away by ourselves.

Anyway, in my slackness, it seems that there are still two more holiday locations I've yet to blog about. So come back soon to hear what we got up to in L.A.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day. What a great way to celebrate Theo!

Candi and Skeet said...

It sounds so special. I am so glad that you were able to honor Theo and be happy that he is a part of your lives. It is such a bitter sweet day isn't it.

Love you tons!
Candi

Tonya said...

I am glad you celebrated Theo's birthday in such a wonderful way! The night sky is beautiful!! Theo is lucky to have great parent's like you!! Miss You!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place to honor Theo. The moon was lovely, as though he is smiling down on you.

Candi
YaYa to Bryan